Sunday, January 2, 2011

ONWARD



Joyful, Sad, Tearful, Smiles, overwhelmed, elated,...the adjective list could go on and on. Today, as I walked through the place I have called home for the last time, there was not a trace of anything that made it a home for me. All the rooms empty and clean, and yet, as the landlord and I went room by room to close out my life in this dwelling, the memories flood my thoughts and while I am relieved to be finished with the moving and the sorting (well mostly) I am sad that it has ended.

Aaron the landlord praises me for taking such good care of his house, but you know, I made it a home. It served as sanctuary for me over here. When I needed an escape or a place of quiet rest, I came here.

It is nothing fancy or expansive, and yet, I have loved calling this place home. Despite having a 8' fence and hedge full of thorns, with a large gate locked up from the outside world. For the most part, I knew I could come here and rest and feel safe.

The work, here will go on, with or without me. As excited as I am to move on to whatever God has for me and to spend some quality time with my loved ones, I am overwhelmed with bittersweet memories and feelings that say..."Oh I shall miss this place, this home, the work I do, the friends and flatmates I have known here.

Though, I still have two more weeks to spend with them, I drove out of the gated compound of my Uganda home for the very last time with tears in my eyes and a smile on my face....

Thank you Aaron Kabarizi for allowing me to call Plot 41 Kisinja road in Jinja, Uganda home. I have loved every minute I have spent in my small, comfortable and clean home.

I will always remember my Ugandan home!!!

No comments: